Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Still on the South Oxford

Geographically I haven't travelled very far but I am enjoying just cruising for a couple of hours every now and then. This part of the canal is so rural and, therefore, very beautiful. My plan is to carry on southwards for a few days and then start back towards my "home" territory. I may not be able to travel as far south as I'd originally hoped as I have just heard that one of the lift bridges (# 215) has collapsed into the canal. This year I have to book into a boatyard to have a few maintenance jobs done so that will take care of October.

As I was in the area I went to visit Compton Verney which has (until the end of August) an exhibition of work by Henry Moore and Auguste Rodin. The highlight for me was The Burghers of Calais which is normally to be found outside the Houses of Parliament but at Compton the sculpture is viewed at ground level where the fine detail can be seen and appreciated.

Monday's dreadful weather drove me home where I was able to get on with the decorating that I started in the Spring! I got on quite well so I should be able to finish the room after a couple more days. Professional decorators quoted £600 and £900 and I will have done the work for about £60 and a week of my time. Anyway the weather is looking good so I'm off to do some cruising.

No comments: