Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday 10 June 2012

A week of two halves

I'm going back a week or so here as I've been back on land for almost a week. But two weeks ago you might remember that the weather was rather hot. I'd picked up the boat from the boatyard with its fabulous new hot shower (it used to be a hot-cold-hot-cold-cold-cold shower, when it wasn't leaking) and was joined on a trip by Mo and Toni that I had met last year. They live on boats in Braunston marina. We had a great trip up to Hillmorton on the Monday, after which we had some nice refreshing drinks in the hot, hot sun followed by a meal, courtesy of Mo. Next morning we found my friend, Pete, moored nearby. He had promised to drill a couple of holes for me which he duly did. I'll tell you another day what the holes are for - but only if it works :-).

We cruised up through the locks and to Tesco for provisions and then onto Newbold for the night. Another beautiful hot day, another couple of nice, refreshing drinks and another meal, courtesy of Mo. I could get used to this.....only I couldn't because the next day Mo and Toni were having to turn back. On the Wednesday I went on to Hawkesbury Junction and that night we had heavy rain. On the Thursday I started up the Ashby mooring not far from Hinckley. When I moored up it was too early for dinner but I was hungry so decided to have an apple. What a mistake that was - biting into it I had the most peculiar sensation - and found that my crown had broken. It had not only fallen out but its pin had broken too. I rang my dentist in the hope that they might get me in the afternoon of the Friday, giving me time to get the three buses back to my car and then get back to kettering. Blast - they only had morning appointments. However, by a stroke of luck they knew the dental practice in Hinckley, rang them for me and they said they'd take a look. It was 4pm and I was two miles from the address, so half running, half walking I arrived at the practice about ten minutes before closing time. They had a quick look and made an appointment for me the next day to fit a temporary crown. It all went well and I now have a temporary - I'm not sure how temporary it will be but if it sees me through my niece's wedding that would be good.

As this was the Jubilee weekend I decided I'd better go and fetch the car on the Saturday as Sunday and Bank Holiday buses would be virtually non-existent. So that was another non cruising day and, as you will all remember, the Sunday was a complete washout so that was another non-cruising day. Never mind I made up for it on the Monday and Tuesday, cruising further up the Ashby and visiting the Battlefield visitor centre.  Then , as usual, work caught up with me and I had to abandon ship and get back to work for a few days. I'll soon be back on board and hoping for fine weather (some hopes). At least the wedding went well, the wind dropped and it was fine all day. Hurray.

No comments: