Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday 4 March 2013

Buckby Locks

A beautiful day for the first "proper" cruise of the year. I treated myself to a new gas bottle so that I don't find myself unable to make tea at any time. Then I started through the locks. Lock 13 was fine but at Lock 12 I just could not budge the bottom gate to close it once I was in the lock. I tried and tried until all my energy had gone. A friend, Pete, was on his way to help with the locks so I hung around waiting for him and hoping that someone might walk by and give a hand, but it seems that they were all having their lunch break. Almost an hour went by before Pete arrived and then he made it look so easy. I'm putting the experience down to lack of muscle tone due to not having needed to do any locks for the last four months :-). I'd like to say that the rest of the flight went smoothly but, actually, Olivia seemed to bob about quite a bit in the locks and I got caught in the flow by the entrance to the top lock. Mind you both Pete and I agreed that this is the worst flight that we know (and we know a few between us). Found a reasonable mooring space near Norton Junction and within Pete's eyeline so I feel happy to leave her for a few days. It's my last day at work tomorrow, after 25 years. Strange notion but I'm sure I will soon be forgotten.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Boats sometimes love to let down their hair and go wild in locks, don't they?