Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday 19 July 2015

Worcester

I seem to be moving around very slowly this year but I am happy with that. This week I have moved three times, covered thirteen locks and found three friendly and helpful CRT guys, two were staff and one volunteer. I met the first when starting down a flight of six locks to be informed that the bottom pound was empty as paddles had been left up. The pound was about a mile stretch so it was a good couple of hours before it had enough water for us to cruise on. A hire boat had been left high and dry as it left the bottom lock and was stuck fast until the level had risen enough to refloat it. The unexpected break gave me a chance to sort out the anchor and anchor rode ready for the river next week. Dunhampstead and Tibberton are good mooring spots and there are several pubs in the area. I went to The Bridge where I had a decent enough pie, chips and peas. My next mooring was opposite Perdiswell Sports Club and it was a good spot. It was a bit of a trek into the city centre but it was a sunny spot and the natives were very friendly, stopping to chat as they walked their dogs or fetched their papers. This is where I met the second CRT man who gave me lots of information about the local area and the morning that I started out he helped with the gates on a couple of locks. In Worcester I spent a morning mooching around the museum/gallery; visited the cathedral and walked along the river to look at boats going through the river locks. It all seemed quite familiar as Sonia and I had passed through when we did the Severn Way walk a decade and a bit ago! And so I met the third CRT chap who looks after Diglis Basin's shenanigans. He told me everything I think I need to know about going on the river and he tells me he will be on duty next week when I go through, so that is very reassuring. Today I drove over to Upton Blues Festival for the day; it was only ten miles and would seem rude not to go. What a beautiful day it was too. Just right for the festival which has grown since I first went there, which I think was six years ago.

No comments: