Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday 17 May 2013

The Caldon Canal

I am now spending some time on the Caldon Canal which runs from Stoke on Trent to Leek along one branch and Froghall along the other. It is deceptive when you first enter the canal as the first five miles are very industrial and there are no decent places to moor. The canal guide suggests mooring at Hanley Park (a really good resource for the Stokies) but there were many groups of guys sitting on the wall drinking from cans. However, once you leave the urban area behind, the canal is very peaceful and pretty while still showing signs of its industrial past, such as the flint mill at Cheddleton. I last left you after my day at the Wedgwood Factory and to get here I had to cruise up to Stoke and then hang a right onto the Caldon. On Thursday I covered 9 locks, an automated lift bridge and 10 miles - that's quite a lot for me but was due to the sparsity of good moorings through the urban areas. A guy claiming to be a lock keeper was helping us through the locks but I was wary as he had no CaRT logo on his hi-vis vest and was not wearing a life jacket. Anyway he was obviously enjoying himself and he helped speed me through the locks. Today started with two very helpful chaps from the boat moored in front of me (nb Artful Dodger)very kindly fixing up my front fender which had broken loose (not for the first time. It is past its best and I have bodged a few fixes with it over the last couple of years). Note to self: get a new one! This camaraderie is what I love about the canals. They just offered to help.

I cruised about 3 miles today but that included 6 locks and 2 lift bridges. Now the locks are a doddle compared to single-handing lift bridges. I have to take the bowline over the bridge with me, lift the bridge, pull Olivia through and then find a way of passing the bowline under the bridge while trying to grab the stern line so that I can keep hold of the boat enabling me to get back on once the bridge has been lowered again. Great fun and games but keeps the grey matter ticking over with the problem solving. I have had walks on both days, doing four and a half miles yesterday and 7 miles today :-).

Olivia in a lock:

The Leek branch goes over the Froghall branch:

Quaint

No comments: