Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday 23 May 2013

Wind stops play

Yesterday I started off reasonably early and made my way through the five locks. No other boats seemed to be about so had to keep stopping to close the gates for each one. By the time I reached the first lift bridge the wind was up so as fast as I hauled Olivia through on ropes the wind was blowing her back! I did manage to get her through but decided to call it a day and moor up before the second lift bridge. I'm only a short walk from a Co-op for supplies and the buses into Hanley. While I was in the Co-op a lad helped himself to a carrier bag full of meat and walked out without paying, cool as you like. It was such a surprise that no-one yelled out and he has seemingly got away with it. In fact, the staff said the same thing had happened twice more recently.

I took this picture on Friday on my way up and you might just spot a goose sitting on her nest in the middle:

Sadly when I came through yesterday she had gone and had left six massive eggs. Shame.

Today was both raining and windy so I abandoned cruising for the day and instead I walked down to Ford Green Hall, a former farmstead built in 1624. It was furnished in the style of a 17th century house and was an interesting way to spend an hour. Then I hopped on a bus into the city again to get one or two items that I needed for the boat. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and I can make some progress.

It has been so cold that I am still lighting a fire at night. I ran out of kindling and went off in search of some. I enquired at a local garage that was selling coal and logs whether they had any or knew where I could get some. The lady on the till called her colleague over and asked her whether she still has the crates that the fruit and veg came in. She did and she went and fetched them and here is my next couple of days kindling! Kindling from kind people :-).

No comments: