Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday 22 June 2015

Birmingham

I quite enjoyed the Fazeley and wondered why so few boats moor along there. There are a couple of nice spots giving a country sojourn before reaching the metropolis. I ended up at Cuckoo Wharf where I was joined by Heather who had come along to help with the next 24 locks. A knock on the door next morning was from Bo who, with his wife Gina, I had met two years ago when we were doing the Huddersfield Narrow canal. It was great to catch up with you both and perhaps we might have a longer chat when we inevitably meet up as we are doing a reverse loop to each other. After Bo and Gina left, Jim arrived with windlass to also help with the locks. What a team! I hardly had to get off the boat (as Heather keeps reminding me :-)) and they got a good method going of setting the next lock so I just had to cruise on in. We did the 24 locks and 3 miles in three and a quarter hours. I think that is pretty good. I am having a great time in Birmingham. I have been up to the top of the library and had a nice sit in their roof garden, visited the National Trust's Back to Back houses, been to the gorgeous Everyman cinema to see London Road, called into the cathedral (which is undergoing a refurb so is currently full of scaffolding) where I had a treat as the boys'and mens' choir was rehearsing. Lots more to see and do so will get back to report more later.

No comments: