Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday 29 June 2015

Farewell to Birmingham but I will be back...

I did enjoy the exhibition at the art gallery: Warhol and William Morris. What did they have in common? Well both had obsessions, one with Hollywood Stars and the other with medieval art and stories. Also both ran factories where their work could be produced for a mass market. The rest of the museum/gallery was interesting too. Later, in Centenary Square, a troupe of trampolinists gave us a comedic show. Other things that I have done this week: bought a ukelele for the boat, took a turn around St Chads catholic cathedral, bought a fridge magnet, visited the pen museum where I have never seen so many nibs all in one place (also ink wells and hand blotters),walked about eight miles to the University and back via the Barber Institute (what a fabulous place) and Winterbourne House (only £5ish to get in so worth a visit). It was an open day at the Uni so a very nice vibe with all the prospective students and their families milling around. I'd go there :-). I also went to the Last Night of the Summer Proms with all the flag waving and usual numbers. Free glass of Pymms was a bonus on a warm summer evening. Finally, yesterday I decided to visit the Thinktank, tag line, Birmingham's Science Museum. You enter on Level 2 and unless you have a child with you there is not much to keep you occupied and it was a disappointment that some of the interactive things i tried didn't seem to work. Perhaps I haven't got the same brain as a 21st century under 10. Anyway, the other levels are much more interesting and look at Birmingham's engineering past, its manufacturing background and at future research. The interactive displays on level 3 were fun including a robot thespian and a robot drummer and there was quite a lot on current research: nano technology, flight, medicine, etc. I also had a session in the planetarium which cost an extra £1 and was probably worth it. Not a patch on the London planetarium but I haven't been there for 30 years and I am positive that it costs a lot more than £1!! Anyway my 14 days in Brum is almost up so I must move on. .

No comments: