Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday 12 July 2011

A family weekend

I had to come back in to work today to tie up some loose ends (There seem to be plenty of them :-) ).

I returned to Cowroast last Tuesday evening by train from Milton Keynes, after leaving the car in what seemed a safe place. On Wednesday I did what for me is a long cruise, doing 7 locks before lunch and 9 after. I was sharing locks with a really nice couple and their lurcher, Rags. I knew I was getting tired when I slipped on a wonky slab and turned my ankle, so moored up at Slapton.

Next day, I again shared two locks with Rags and family, before stopping for provisions at Leighton Buzzard Tesco. A convenient stopping place but I was rather put off when a rat ran across the towpath. First one I've ever seen on my travels. The rain held off although it got quite breezy and I found that Olivia was getting to be hard work to control in locks, etc. (The wind was catching her). I moored at Stoke Hammond where I thought i might be meeting Phil and Jackie. However, the wind had put them off and they stayed at Fenny so arrnaged to meet them there the next day.

Friday was quite rainy and windy again but I set off and was caught up at the first lock by Penny and Richard with whom I also shared Fenny lock. I moored next to Phil and Jackie and we caught up on news and had a cup of tea. I decided to press on to Central Milton Keynes but trying to moor on the 48 hour spot at the Parks Trust was a nightmare in the wind. Each time I got her in to the side and attempted to tie her in either the front or the back got taken out again. Never mind, eventually I got her securely moored. Checked up on my car and she was fine.

I had Kate and Paris out for the weekend. On Saturday we shopped for a suit for P for the upcoming wedding and K and I bought ourselves a couple of items each. Then we treated P to the Build a Bear workshop because he had been good and he had never been there before. He chose a camoflage bear skin and dressed him as a Jedi with the Star Wars theme when you press his foot. He looked good. On Sunday we went to Gullivers (yet another treat for the boy) and we had a great time. Kate and I really love the Moon Buggies and would stay on them all day if they didn't make your calves ache!! No worries about the kids, we are demons. Neil came to join us and was mortified when they wouldn't let him in without a child so we let him have ours :-)...I suppose it's a good thing that they don't allow random guys in - but I wonder if they allow random females?

Yesterday the weather was beatiful and I had cruised as far as Yardley Gobion when I got the call to work, so put travels on hold for a day or two. I don't mind the hold up as I have decided not to go to Upton this year, as I would have to camp and no one else wanted to (They've all outgrown camping!) so would have to be on my own. Camping - ok for me - camping on my own - no, I'm not so keen. Hopefully make it to Blisworth tomorrow but we shall see. Weather forecast is only so-so.

No comments: