Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday 14 July 2011

Widebeams

I like a widebeam. That is, when I had a look around one at Crick Show I thought it was wonderful with its two double fitted bedrooms, human sized lounge, proper bathroom, utility, kitchen and conservatory and so on....and each year I find more and more widebeams moored on the cut. Some are thoughtfully moored with good space for passing boats and good visibility but more and more often I am finding them moored on bends and in narrow parts of the cut making life difficult for everyone else. This week, though, I had the problem of a widebeam advancing towards me from around a bend at quite a speed. I had bushes my side  (and, therefore, no where to go) and there were overhanging trees their side. He tried to cut his speed to avoid both me and the trees but he couldn't get it to slow enough. We passed each other safely but not before all the planters on his roof were swept over by the branches. He took it very well but I couldn't help feeling that with a little more forethought he could have escaped that indignity.

I also forgot to tell you about my very helpful bus driver. I was waiting for a bus in a small village where I found that the timetable had changed quite drastically both in times and destinations of buses. I rang traveline who told me I had a two hour wait for a bus to my destination. As we were talking a bus pulled up so I asked the driver where he was going. The answer was the next village - fed up, I said "OK, I'll walk from there"; "Where are you headed?" he asked and my answer was a further 6 miles. "I have to go that way" says he, "to take the bus back. I'll give you a lift". What a nice guy! If you are wondering why no places are named in this story, it is because I don't want to get said driver into trouble. But driver, you know who you are, and thank you very much.

No comments: