Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday 4 July 2011

A lovely weekend for a cruise

Headed off towards Berkhamsted and was able to share 3 or 4 locks with Beez Neez, two lads who were heading up to Liverpool. They were helpful and friendly (while, I think, trying to remain "cool") - say Hi to them if you see them on their way. Olivia played up a bit at the last two locks that I shared with them. She just did not want to come in to moor nicely! I think, maybe, there is a bit of flow on those locks which took her bow out. I stopped for a short break at Apsley and then through the next lock on my own. It was one of those nightmare lockings: to start with she would not come in to the side nicely (as above) then she got stuck in the shallows and I had to pole her off, then I tucked her bow into the lock entrance while emptying it and the bow fender got stuck on the gate and, of course, it found a weak link and broke. Eventually we got through. I was able to stop at B&Q at Two Waters and get a D shackle to fix the broken link and with the help of some bunjies (used as a fishing rod!) I was able to raise the fender enough to slip in the shackle. It's a pretty good fix even if I say so myself. Through a couple more locks (Olivia no longer troublesome) and moored before the Fishery Inn. Went to find a fish and chip shop as a treat for my strange and tiring day.

On Saturday I joined up with Vectis and we shared all the way to Berkhamsted. This part of the canal is very shallow in places. I have never seen it looking like it has a beach before :-). I got stuck on mud in one of the pounds and was pulled off by Vectis, then at Berko they got stuck just by the first lock up to the pubs. Luckily they could pole off. I moored up by the pub for the night. I needed the bank, some provisions and so forth. Many of the shops in the town have changed, lots of gift type shops and interior design items. As it was such a lovely evening I went to sit in the castle grounds for a while.

On Sunday I just did a short trip to Cowroast as I needed to get a train back home as work calls for a couple of days. Must sort out those students' results :-).

No comments: