Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday 24 August 2013

Riley Green

I had to bid a fond farewell to my friends Phil and Michelle as their boat has broken down. We were setting off but they could not get any propulsion. They called an engineer who predicts gearbox trouble but could not visit until after the Bank Holiday. I started off down the flight of six locks and the first two were nice and easy. However I then got stuck on rocks at the entrance to the third lock. I had to let water down from the previous lock. In the meantime I got chatting to a "little old lady" who tried helping to free up the boat, warned me not to stay overnight in Blackburn and advised me that the "ne'er do wells" at the bottom lock were alright (I.e. not on drugs and would help me with locks). At the fifth lock I managed to snap one of my ropes. It was sheer thoughtlessness my part. Luckily I carry spare ropes. True to my friend's advice there were several blokes at the bottom lock. I got talking to Denver, a Canadian, and Mick, a local. Denver had followed a girl back to England but it hadn't worked out. He still had hope but at the present time had got stuck in Blackburn. Mick was unemployed and both seemed lost. Very sad. Last night I moored at Riley Green, a nice, quiet rural mooring with a marina and pub the other side of the bridge. I had a good and long overdue walk down to the next flight of locks. I got talking to a chap who was walking the whole canal (not all in one go) and it was reassuring to find that some people find little projects to do in contrast to the guys I'd met earlier.

No comments: