Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday 22 July 2010

Through beautiful countryside

I am moored at a really quiet spot in the Warwickshire countryside heading towards Oxfordshire. Unusual for the canal system, there is no railway line close by and no motorways or even A roads either. Pure peace. I had a long cruising day today (for me, anyway): almost three hours this morning and then three and a half hours this afternoon. There was no wind to speak of and it was warm, a good cruising day. I did get caught in a heavy shower which lasted about “three locks” but I soon dried out. (See what funny timescales we resort to when on the waterways!). The scenery on this part of the journey is lovely with winding canals, gentle hills, windmills (!) and pastures. I met lots of really nice, helpful people at Napton Locks: the Swedish family, the Ozzies, quite a few hire boat families including some sisters and their children and children’s friends, and a special mention goes to Milo and his mother who not only helped but Milo (about 5 years old) directed operations and blew his whistle to inform me that the lock was full and I could go. “See you next time” he said. Sweetheart.

No comments: